Cathedral of St. Joseph
140 Farmington Avenue
Hartford, Connecticut

Dedicated on May 15, 1962, the Cathedral of St. Joseph stands on the site of the old Cathedral destroyed by fire on December 31, 1956. Designed by Eggers and Higgins of New York, it rises 281 feet from the sidewalk. The stainless steel cross is 25 feet high. The building is 284 feet long at the extreme end and 156 feet wide from east to west. It is constructed of reinforced concrete, sheathed with Alabama limestone. The grille work in the tower is of the same material and houses 12 carillon bells designed by Verdin of Cincinnati.

A heroic likeness of St. Joseph, Patron of the Universal Church as well as of the Archdiocese and the Cathedral, stands over the main doors.

The Great Windows of the Cathedral of St. Joseph

The theme of "Christ the Savior" is carried in the windows in the main nave. The twenty four great windows show the Savior present in the Gospel: The coming of the Savior, the Savior and sinner, the Savior as teacher of all, the Savior's triumph over death (on the east side); the Savior and work, the Savior and the joys and sorrows of life, the Savior instituting the Holy Eucharist, and finally the Savior's redeeming sacrifice (on the west side). Two large windows behind the altar contain symbols of the Sacraments. Designed by Jean Barillet of Paris, the windows are 67 feet high and 13 1/2 feet wide. The glass is embedded in concrete, instead of the usual lead cames.

 

 

 

Archdiocese of Hartford · 134 Farmington Avenue Hartford, CT 06105 · 860-541-6491 · fax: 860-541-6309