More than 1200 households
Ansonia's Irish Catholics became the pastoral responsibility of Derby (then Birmingham). In 1853, a Catholic School opened on Main Street and continued for about seven years. Under the direction of Father Patrick J. O'Dwyer of Derby, a frame church was erected on Main and Green Streets. Bishop Francis P. McFarland dedicated the chapel on August 23, 1868. Father O'Dwyer became Ansonia's first resident pastor on June 20, 1870, as parish status was conferred on the mission. The third pastor, Father Joseph Synnott, contracted the services of well-known church architect Patrick C. Keeley to design a new church. On June 17, 1900, Bishop Michael A. Tierney blessed Assumption's basement chapel of the Sacred Heart and later dedicated the completed church on June 23, 1907. Two years after that a parochial school was built and dedicated on August 21, 1910.
61 North Cliff Street, Ansonia CT 06401-1698
Telephone: 203-735-7857 Fax: 203-734-8302