Search Again

Parish History


Holy Rosary Church
Established 1908
Italian
More than 700 households

Bishop John J. Nilan created Holy Rosary parish for Ansonia's Italian immigrants in 1908. The appointed pastor was Father Francis Bonforti, who celebrated the first parish Mass on October 4, 1908. Italian Catholics were worshiping at the former Assumption Parish Church on Main Street, a Gothic brick edifice whose cornerstone was blessed on August 15, 1867. This old church was renamed Holy Rosary. Because the congregation continued to grow, the fourth pastor, Father Vincent Iannetta, implemented a construction program. Archbishop Henry J. O'Brien dedicated the new Holy Rosary Church in 1967.
 
Holy Rosary Church
10 Fr. Salemi Drive, Ansonia CT 06401-3296
Telephone: 203-735-7874   Fax: 203-732-2212
Email: info@holyrosaryansonia.org
Deanery: Ansonia-Derby
Vicariate: Waterbury