Search Again

Parish History


St. Joseph Church
Established 1925
Polish
More than 400 households

Before 1905, Polish immigrants attended Ansonia's Assumption parish. When St. Michael Polish parish was established in Derby on October 14, 1905, Ansonia's Polish Catholics traveled there instead. St. Michael pastor, Father Joseph Studzinski, bought a parcel of land on Jewett Street, Ansonia, for a future church. In June 1925, Bishop John J. Nilan appointed Vincentian Father Aloysius Zielenznik, C.M., as pastor of the new St. Joseph parish. The priest's first Mass for the Polish congregation was celebrated on July 12, 1925, at a Central Street hall rented from an Italian society. With remarkable speed, a self-contained parish plant was constructed and was soon in operation, with church, school, and convent all compacted into a rectangular brick building. The church was dedicated on September 6, 1926. Ten days later, St. Joseph school opened, staffed by the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth.
 
St. Joseph Church
32 Jewett Street, Ansonia CT 06401-2499
Telephone: 203-734-0402   Fax: 203-734-4884
Email: st.joseph.rectory@frontier.com
Deanery: Ansonia-Derby
Vicariate: Waterbury