Search Again

Parish History


St. Stanislaus Church
Established 1919
Polish
1100 households

At the turn of the century, Polish immigrants were drawn by employment opportunities in the local factories and foundries of Bristol, attending St. Joseph Church. In 1902, their number was sufficient to warrant the formation of the St. Stanislaus Kostka Society. On April 21, 1919, Bishop John J. Nilan named Father George Bartlewski founding pastor of St. Stanislaus Parish. Six days later, Father Bartlewski offered the first parish Mass at town hall. The construction of a basement church climaxed with the blessing of the cornerstone by Bishop Nilan on September 26, 1920. Auxiliary Bishop John G. Murray dedicated the basement church on May 30, 1921. Despite the onset of the national Depression, St. Stanislaus School was constructed and it opened on September 15, 1930, staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Third Order of St. Francis. In 1954 the basement church was demolished and Masses were temporarily moved to the school hall as plans were made to complete the church. A new Gothic edifice in brick rose on the site of the original church and was dedicated on May 20, 1956. To the dismay of many, rising costs and decreasing enrollment forced the closing of the parish school in 1985.
 
St. Stanislaus Church
510 West Street,, Bristol CT 06011-1860
Mailing Address: PO Box 1860, Bristol CT 06011-1860
Telephone: 860-583-4242   Fax: 860-583-9464
Email: ststans.terry@sbcglobal.net
Deanery: Bristol
Vicariate: Waterbury