Search Again

Parish History


St. Michael the Archangel Church
Established 1905
Polish
700 households

Largely from Austrian Poland, immigrants began arriving in Derby around 1885. Despite a degree of factionalism within the early immigrant community, Francis Stochmal led in founding the Parish Society of St. Michael the Archangel on February 7, 1903. Land on Derby Avenue was bought later that year. Despite the arrival in Derby of Father Walter Stec of Poland, both Bishop Michael A. Tierney and the Apostolic Delegate, to whom the Poles appealed still refused permission for a new parish. Father Stec soon returned to Poland. Nevertheless, fear of schism and the belated support of St. Mary pastor Father Charles J. McElroy persuaded Bishop Tierney to establish St. Michael the Archangel parish on July 15, 1905. Father Stanislaus Konieczny, C.M., of the Vincentian Fathers was appointed founding pastor. Durrschmidt Hall on lower Main Street was rented for Masses, the first of which was celebrated on August 20, 1905. A new church was dedicated on July 4, 1907, by Father John Synnott, who represented Bishop Tierney. Succeeding the founding pastor in 1906, Father Paul W. Waszko, C.M., built a school staffed by the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth and dedicated on January 1, 1915. The school merged with St. Mary School, Derby in 1988.
 
St. Michael the Archangel Church
75 Derby Avenue, Derby CT 06418-2098
Telephone: 203-734-0005   
Deanery: Ansonia-Derby
Vicariate: Waterbury