Parish History


St. Adalbert Church
Established 1915
Polish
600 households

Employed primarily at the major local industry, Bigelow-Sanford carpet mill, Polish immigrants first worshiped at St. Michael Chapel in the basement of St. Patrick Church. On September 1, 1907, Bishop Michael A. Tierney made Father Paul W. Piechocki responsible for the immigrants. Father Piechocki soon persuaded Bishop John J. Nilan to buy land on Alden Avenue as the prospective site of a Polish church. Bishop Nilan established St. Adalbert parish on January 17, 1915. Father Stanislaus Federkiewicz was named first pastor. St. Michael's Chapel remained in use until the new Polish church was constructed on Alden Avenue. Father Federkiewicz blessed the cornerstone of St. Adalbert on October 10, 1915. The first Mass was offered in the unfinished church basement on Christmas 1915. Bishop Nilan dedicated the lower church on May 7, 1916. Finally, the completed St. Adalbert was dedicated by Bishop Maurice F. McAuliffe on July 8, 1928. Felician sisters staffed the parish school, which began with a kindergarten conducted in the church basement. On May 11, 1958, ground was broken for a separate school building. The completed school was dedicated by Auxiliary Bishop John F. Hackett on August 16, 1959.
 
St. Adalbert Church
90 Alden Avenue, Enfield CT 06082-3594
Mailing Address: 64 Pearl St., Enfield CT 06082-3594
Telephone: 860-745-4837   
Email: hmontagna@msn.com
Deanery: Enfield
Vicariate: Hartford

Archdiocese of Hartford · 134 Farmington Avenue Hartford, CT 06105 · 860-541-6491 · fax: 860-541-6309