Search Again

Parish History

St. Paul Church
Established 1954
2000 households

Glastonbury's earliest Catholics traveled to St. Peter Church in Hartford during the 1860's. For a few years, Manchester priests assumed pastoral responsibility for Glastonbury. Portland clerics had a year's jurisdiction until St. Mary, East Hartford, was organized in 1873. Glastonbury became its responsibility until 1902, when it was made a mission of St. Augustine, South Glastonbury. Father Francis Murray of St. Augustine purchased land on Naubuc Avenue where St. Paul Church was built. Bishop Michael A. Tierney blessed the cornerstone on May 31, 1903. Formal ceremonies of dedication occurred on October 18. On September 23, 1954, Archbishop Henry J. O'Brien made St. Paul a parish, with Father Robert P. Sullivan as resident pastor. Ground was broken on November 28, 1956, for a new church. Cornerstone and dedication solemnities were conducted by Archbishop O'Brien on January 25, 1958, for the new church.
St. Paul Church
2577 Main Street, Glastonbury CT 06033-2023
Telephone: 860-633-9419   Fax: 860-633-0040
Deanery: Manchester
Vicariate: Hartford