Search Again

Parish History


St. Ann Church
Established 1919
Italian
200 households

The area of Hamden known as Highwood was a farming community when New Haven Italian Catholics migrated there. These immigrants had been attending St. Anthony Church, New Haven, an Italian parish administered by the Scalabrinian missionaries. Bishop John J. Nilan asked these priests to establish a mission in Highwood. Under Father Bartolomeo Maranchino's direction, an old firehouse on Morse Street was bought and refurbished as a chapel. There, around November 1910, Father Maranchino celebrated the first mission Mass. In October 1920, the Highwood mission Of St. Ann was made a parish, with Father Angelo A. Perrone named pastor. In 1925 Father Alvaro Santolini purchased farmland for a church at the corner of Dixwell Avenue and Arch Street. The new edifice was dedicated by Bishop Nilan in May 1927. In 1967, Father William R. Facciuto bought land on Jones Road and built a parish center. Today, St. Ann's is a center for Korean Catholics, the first parish in the Archdiocese selected by Connecticut Koreans as their official religious headquarters.
 
St. Ann Church
930 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden CT 06514-4990
Telephone: 203-865-0886   
Deanery: Hamden-North Haven
Vicariate: New Haven