Search Again

Parish History


Our Lady of Fatima Church
Established 1958
Portuguese
1600 households

In the mid-1950's, a number of immigrants from Portugal and the Azores took up residence in the central and western sections of Hartford. The Portuguese population had so increased by 1958 that Archbishop Henry J. O'Brien appointed Father Jose Silva, an immigrant priest, as pastor of a national parish under the protection of Our Lady of Fatima. That year Father Silva purchased a vacant Lutheran church at 170 Russ Street to serve as the first Portuguese Catholic church in Hartford. Our Lady of Fatima parishioners came not only from Hartford but also from many outlying areas, including Newington, where a Portuguese social club thrived. Father Silva purchased property for a church on Kane Street. By 1986, the basement chapel was complete. The new Our Lady of Fatima, an edifice of modern design, was finally dedicated in April 1988 by Archbishop John F. Whealon.
 
Our Lady of Fatima Church
One Fatima Square, Hartford CT 06106-2042
Telephone: 860-236-1443   Fax: 860-232-4455
Deanery: Hartford
Vicariate: Hartford