Search Again

Parish History


SS. Cyril & Methodius Church
Polish
Established 1902
1500 households

Prior to 1898, the few Polish immigrants in Hartford attended St. Peter Church. In January 1901, the recently ordained Father Stanislaus Lozowski was assigned as curate to serve the Polish immigrants at St. Peter. On April 6, 1902, Bishop Michael A. Tierney established SS. Cyril and Methodius Parish for Polish immigrants, with Father Lozowski appointed founding pastor. The first parish Mass was celebrated in St. Peter's basement. A small wooden church was dedicated on Governor Street. In September 1905, a parochial school, also on Governor Street, opened to 120 pupils under the Felician Sisters, who lived in the school. Polish Catholics next erected a large brick church. On July 9, 1916, the cornerstone was blessed. Father Stanislaus Musiel then launched a campaign for a new school in 1922. With the school age population expanding, an edifice of 16 classrooms was built on Groton Street and opened on September 6, 1923.
 
SS. Cyril & Methodius Church
55 Charter Oak Avenue, Hartford CT 06106-1902
Telephone: 860-522-9157   Fax: 860-524-9433
Deanery: Hartford
Vicariate: Hartford