Search Again

Parish History


St. Augustine Church
Established 1902
1100 households

In August 1902, Bishop Michael A. Tierney appointed Father Michael Barry founding pastor of the newly established St. Augustine parish. The foundation of a basement chapel was dedicated by Bishop Tierney on February 22, 1903. Until then, Mass was offered at the Washington Street School. Finally, a beautiful Romanesque edifice rose on Campfield Avenue and was dedicated by Bishop John J. Nilan in June 1912. In 1912, during St. Augustine's formative years, Mother Herman Joseph led seven Sisters of St. Joseph of Chambery in providing parish youngsters with religious instruction. In 1927, a school was begun on Clifford Street and dedicated on September 9, 1928. An honor came to the parish on July 23, 1934, when the Hartford City Council named the vicinity of the church Barry Square in tribute to the pastor who had been elevated to domestic prelate in 1933.
 
St. Augustine Church
10 Campfield Avenue, Hartford CT 06114-1832
Telephone: 860-522-7128   Fax: 860-246-1753
Email: staugst@staugustinehtfd.org
Deanery: Hartford
Vicariate: Hartford