In 1914 Father Francis P. Nolan of St. Thomas Seminary, who was Diocesan Director of Cemeteries, built a residence on land that had been the Thomas farm in the Hartford section known as "Blue Hills." On October 16, 1924, the parish of St. Justin was established, with Father Nolan named founding pastor. The site of early Masses was Northwest School on Woodland Street until February 1, 1925, when the basement of a new Blue Hills Avenue church was formally dedicated. On May 21, 1933, Bishop John J. Nilan dedicated St. Justin. In 1938, Father Nolan purchased land on Cornwall Street for a future parish school. The dream of a school materialized on August 6, 1951, as then Bishop Henry J. O'Brien dedicated the facility constructed by the parish on Blue Hills Avenue staffed by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur. The pastor continued the momentum of parochial expansion in November 1961 with an addition to the school of six new classrooms and a gymnasium. The school closed in 1989.
230 Blue Hills Avenue, Hartford CT 06112-1836
Telephone: 860-246-6897 Fax: 860-246-6898