Search Again

Parish History


Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church
Italian
Established 1894
1100 households

Italian immigrants began settling in the northwest corner of Meriden during the 1870s. The city parishes of St. Laurent and St. Rose initially responded to the newcomers. Sentiment was quickly marshaled among the immigrants to found their own parish. Father Felice Morelli of New York and about 70 families later framed a proposal to Bishop Michael A. Tierney requesting the establishment of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish. On May 13, a wooden parish church on Goodwill Avenue was dedicated by Archbishop Francesco Satolli, visiting papal legate. Seventh pastor Father Walter J. Lyddy broke ground for a much-needed new church on May 5, 1935. The new church was dedicated by Bishop Maurice F. McAuliffe on February 16, 1936. The Filippini Sisters staffed a parish school, which opened in 1944 at the former Nathan Hale School on Lewis Avenue.
 
Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Church
109 Goodwill Avenue, Meriden CT 06451-3000
Telephone: 203-235-6381   Fax: 203-238-3629
Email: our.lady.mt.crml@snet.net
Deanery: Meriden
Vicariate: New Haven