Search Again

Parish History


St. Laurent Church
French
Established 1880
400 households

French and German immigrants to Meriden first attended St. Rose Church. In 1875, French Canadians were served by Father Thomas Broderick. Meriden's Germans heard the Gospel in their mother tongue only occasionally, during visits by New Haven's Father Joseph Schaele. Responding to immigrant needs, on May 27, 1880, Bishop Lawrence S. McMahon appointed the multilingual Father Alphonse Van Oppen to found a parish for both the French and Germans. These French and Germans heard their first Mass as a combined congregation on June 6 at Grand Army Hall on Colony Street. Father Van Oppen quickly bought property on Camp Street, where groundbreaking ceremonies occurred on July 5, 1880. Bishop McMahon dedicated the church basement, named in his honor, on April 10, 1881. On November 4, 1888, the upper church was dedicated, despite delays caused by the famed Blizzard of 1888. St. Laurent grew with the establishment of a parish school in the church basement in 1893, staffed by the Sisters of the Assumption. In 1903, a new school was erected on Camp Street. It closed in 1998.
 
St. Laurent Church
121 Camp Street, Meriden CT 06451-3094
Mailing Address: c/o Our Lady of Mount Carmel P, Meriden CT 06451-3094
Telephone: 203-634-1583   Fax: 203-238-3629
Email: slrectory@snet.net
Deanery: Meriden
Vicariate: New Haven