Parish History


St. Rose of Lima Church
Established 1848
900 households

By 1839, Connecticut's mighty undertaking of the New Haven Railroad had drawn in Meriden's original Irish population. The first Meriden Mass was celebrated by Father James Smyth in 1843 or 1844. Liturgies were celebrated in Meriden by Fathers Philip O'Reilly and Bernard Tevin, the latter using the Broad Street home of Robert Clarke. During the ensuing years, New Haven priests continued to offer Mass in the homes of Meriden's approximately 20 Irish families. On March 31, 1851, St. Rose of Lima was created a parish by Bishop Bernard J. O'Reilly, who named Father Hugh O'Reilly first resident pastor. Father Thomas Quinn convened a school in the church basement, and built a new parish church on Center Street, dedicated on July 31, 1859. In September 1875 a new school opened, staffed by the Sisters of Mercy who left the parish 112 years later. They were replaced for a brief period by the Sisters of Notre Dame.
 
St. Rose of Lima Church
35 Center Street, Meriden CT 06450-5685
Telephone: 203-235-1644   Fax: 203-235-1360
Deanery: Meriden
Vicariate: New Haven

Archdiocese of Hartford · 134 Farmington Avenue Hartford, CT 06105 · 860-541-6491 · fax: 860-541-6309