Search Again

Parish History


St. Stanislaus Church
Polish
Established 1891
1200 households

St. Stanislaus, Meriden, has the distinction of being the first Polish parish founded in the Archdiocese. The initiative was taken by the immigrants themselves on January 1, 1889, when John Damach and friends established a Society of St. Stanislaus, Bishop and Martyr. Liturgies for Poles as a worshiping community were held in the basement of St. Rose church, though the immigrant had earlier attended St. Laurent. With land at Jefferson and Oak Streets already acquired by the immigrants, Bishop Lawrence S. McMahon appointed Father Antoni Klawitter first pastor in 1891. Bishop McMahon dedicated the first St. Stanislaus Church, a small wooden edifice, on January 8, 1893. With a $9000 treasury, Father John L. Ceppa bought land for a new church site at the corner of Pleasant and Olive Streets. The result was the dedication of the new church by Bishop Michael A. Tierney on September 7, 1908. Meanwhile, the old church became the parish school, staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Third Order of St. Francis beginning in 1914. Bishop John J. Nilan dedicated a new parish school on November 21, 1915.
 
St. Stanislaus Church
82 Akron Street, Meriden CT 06450-5796
Telephone: 203-235-6341   Fax: 203-235-6342
Deanery: Meriden
Vicariate: New Haven