Search Again

Parish History


Holy Cross Church
Polish
Established 1927
1700 households

Membership in New Britain's original Polish parish, Sacred Heart, had risen to about 9000 when a movement for a second parish was sponsored by the Holy Trinity Society, founded on April 8, 1927. On November 3, 1927, Bishop Nilan authorized Father Stephen Bartowksi to organize a parish. To avoid confusion with another New Britain church, the intended name of the new parish was changed from Holy Trinity to Holy Cross. The first Mass was offered on November 13 at a local hall. Father Bartkowski broke ground for a new church on Farmington Avenue on December 29, 1927. A year later, Father Bartkowski offered the first Mass in the new wooden church, which was dedicated on July 11 by Auxiliary Bishop Maurice F. McAuliffe. So many Poles soon crossed over from Sacred Heart that Bishop John J. Nilan recognized Holy Cross as a national instead of a territorial parish, as originally planned. Within a short time, a new basement church was dedicated on July 7, 1935, and Bishop Maurice McAuliffe dedicated the superstructure on September 13, 1942. On August 1, 1954, the long awaited parish school was blessed. It was staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Third Order of St. Francis.
 
Holy Cross Church
31 Biruta Street, New Britain CT 06053-2899
Telephone: 860-229-2011   Fax: 860-826-5887
Deanery: New Britain
Vicariate: Hartford