Parish History


Sacred Heart Church Polish
Established 1894
2500 households

Polish immigrants, settling with increased regularity in New Britain, first attended parishes
throughout the city. On September 29, 1889, they established the St. Michael the Archangel
Society. On June 1, 1894, Poles gathered together as a congregation for the first time in the
basement of St. Mary Church on Myrtle Street to participate in a Mass celebrated by Father
Thomas Misicki of Meriden. On August 10, 1894, the New Britain Polish Catholic community
became a mission of the Archdiocese's oldest Polish Catholic parish, St. Stanislaus, Meriden. The
mission phase ended on September 10, 1895, when Father Lucyan Bojnowski was appointed
pastor in New Britain. Initially, the Polish-born priest's new parish was named St. Casimir the
King, but this name was officially changed in 1896 to honor the Sacred Heart. The original
Sacred Heart Church, located on Orange Street, was dedicated by Bishop Michael A. Tierney on
October 4, 1896. In 1904, the first parish school opened, a new church was dedicated in February
on Broad Street, and Father Bojnowski founded an order of women religious, the Daughters of
Mary of the Immaculate Conception, who took charge of an orphanage founded by the pastor. In
1910 the parish school on Gold Street was dedicated. By the mid-1920s, a new huge orphanage
and St. Lucian's Home for the Aged were dedicated on Burritt Street.

 
Sacred Heart Church
158 Broad Street, New Britain CT 06053-4195
Telephone: 860-229-0081   Fax: 860-826-4721
Email: shcnb.rectory@sbcglobal.net
Deanery: New Britain
Vicariate: Hartford

Archdiocese of Hartford · 134 Farmington Avenue Hartford, CT 06105 · 860-541-6491 · fax: 860-541-6309