Search Again

Parish History


St. Andrew Church
Lithuanian
Established 1895
300 households

By 1889, New Britain's Lithuanian immigrants, who attended St. Mary's, were numerous enough to plan a parish. By 1893, Father Joseph Zebris was traveling to New Britain from Waterbury's St. Joseph parish, offering Mass in St. Mary's basement In 1895, land was purchased at Church and Stanley Streets for a new church and Father Zebris was appointed pastor. On January 1, 1896, the cornerstone of St. Andrew Church was blessed by Bishop Michael A. Tierney. In 1911, a new brick Romanesque church was built, resting where the first church had been before its removal to the rear for brief use as a school. A friendship and recreation center was established in the remaining part of the old church at the rear of the property.
 
St. Andrew Church
396 Church Street, PO Box 515, New Britain CT 06050-0515
Telephone: 860-223-3667   Fax: 860-826-6201
Email: saintjohn655@yahoo.com
Deanery: New Britain
Vicariate: Hartford