Search Again

Parish History

Our Lady of Hope Parish
Established 1869
600 households

The first Mass was celebrated in New Hartford in 1849 by Father Michael O'Neil of Waterbury at the home of John Mangan. Shortly thereafter, Father Luke Daly of New Britain commenced bimonthly pastoral visits. In 1852, Winsted priests assumed spiritual jurisdiction. On December 10, 1856, New Hartford passed to the care of Father Patrick O'Dwyer of Collinsville. Besides private homes, New Hartford Masses had been offered at the Brick Machine Shop, Chapin Hall, Choloe Langston House, and Academy Hall. As Irish and French–Canadians found jobs in the busy local cotton mills, the post Civil War Catholic population witnessed the dedication of Immaculate Conception Church on March 27, 1870, designed by the noted Patrick C. Keely of New York. On August 15, 1881, Immaculate Conception became a parish when Irish-born Father Luke Fitzsimmons became first pastor. The pastor quickly assembled a parish plant that included a cemetery addition (1883) and school (1890), staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Chambery. Unsparing economic pressure compelled the decision to close the school in 1971, since the sisters were unable to continue their teaching duties.
Our Lady of Hope Parish
Immaculate Conception Church, New Hartford CT 06057-0285
Mailing Address: 3 Church St. North , PO Box 28, New Hartford CT 06057-0285
Telephone: 860-379-5215   Fax: 860-379-9587
Deanery: Litchfield
Vicariate: Waterbury