Search Again

Parish History


St. Stanislaus Church
Polish
Established 1901
900 households

The New Haven Polish immigrants in the late 19th century first attended St. Boniface Church. On February 2, 1896, they formed the Society of St. Stanislaus. On September 12, 1900, Father Stanislaus F. Musiel was appointed to New Haven. He celebrated the first Mass on September 16 at St. Boniface Germania Hall on Wooster Street. On December 28, 1901, St. Stanislaus was made a parish. Father Musiel bought property at the corner of Dwight and Edgewood Avenues and refurbished the building for use as a chapel. On January 1, 1904, the parish had passed to the care of the Polish Vincentian Fathers. Father George Glogowski, C.M., bought a former Swedish Lutheran church on St. John Street, which was dedicated as a Catholic church on October 23, 1904, by Bishop Tierney. In 1910 Father Anthony Masurkiewicz C.M., arranged for the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth to teach in a burgeoning church basement school. A new St. Stanislaus Church was dedicated on April 27, 1913. In October 1921, a new parochial school was dedicated on State Street. In 1993, St. Stanislaus School merged with St. Michael's School. Both closed in 1995.
 
St. Stanislaus Church
9 Eld Street, New Haven CT 06511-3815
Telephone: 203-562-2828   Fax: 203-752-0217
Email: stanislausnewhaven@comcast.net
Deanery: New Haven
Vicariate: New Haven