Search Again

Parish History


St. Mary Church
Established 1924
1700 households

On July 31, 1919, Newington was made a mission of Father William F. Odell of West Hartford' s St. Brigid parish. Prior to 1919, Newington Catholics had to fan out for worship to Hartford and New Britain parishes. Paper mill owner Thomas Garvan had a prefabricated church built on the site of his own summer residence on Mill Street. Father Odell celebrated the first Mass on June 6, 1920 in the Garvan chapel, dedicated that day to St. Mary. The mission was made a full parish in September 1924, with Father Edward H. Shaughnessy appointed first administrator. The Diocese of Hartford had purchased a half-acre of land on Willard Avenue from parish trustee Peter E. McGuiness on May 22, 1931. With the help of Father Francis Nolan, pastor of Hartford's St. Justin Church, Father James P. Timmons planned and built a Georgian style church on the Williard Avenue parcel. The new St. Mary was dedicated on November 22, 1931, by Bishop John J. Nilan. Nearly five acres of land from the Goodale property were purchased as a future parochial school site. On November 2, 1958, St. Mary School and convent were dedicated by Archbishop Henry J. O'Brien. The Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur assumed teaching duties. On April 2, 1967, Archbishop O'Brien dedicated the new St. Mary Church, built on the Willard Avenue McGuiness acreage.
 
St. Mary Church
626 Willard Avenue, Newington CT 06111-2614
Telephone: 860-666-1591   Fax: 860-666-5720
Email: newingtonstmary@aol.com
Deanery: Suburban Hartford
Vicariate: Hartford