Search Again

Parish History


St. Therese Church
Established 1925
1500 households

The Montowese section of North Haven attracted Catholics very sparingly. During the late 19th century, the few faithful passed successively to parochial jurisdictions that included Wallingford, Hamden, New Haven, and North Haven. As Montowese Catholics neared 100 in number, Bishop John J. Nilan bought some Quinnipiac Avenue land and built a mission church. On October 25, 1925, Bishop Nilan dedicated the new mission to St. Therese, with Father William J. Daly, appointed administrator. On September 10, 1938, the mission attained parish status as Father Harold Flanagan became first pastor. Father Thomas F. Dignam began to plan a new church on the D'Agostino property purchased earlier by Father O'Neil. Tragedy tempered triumph, however, when the old church burned on April 29, 1959. Parish volunteers refitted the rectory garage, a former horse barn, into a beautiful chapel as a temporary haven. Once a more centrally located site for a new church was chosen on Middletown Avenue, modern St. Therese rose steadily and was dedicated at last by Archbishop Henry J. O'Brien on October 22, 1960.
 
St. Therese Church
555 Middletown Avenue, North Haven CT 06473-4000
Telephone: 203-239-1671   Fax: 203-234-2220
Deanery: Hamden-North Haven
Vicariate: New Haven