Search Again

Parish History


St. Mary Church
Established 1921
1900 households

In the early 19th century, Simsbury was served by Hartford's St. Patrick Church. At mid-century, the town came under New Britain's St. Mary parish. On December 10, 1856, St. Patrick parish in Collinsville assumed responsibility for Simsbury. When St. Bernard in Tariffville was created in 1881, Simsbury's Catholics traveled there. In 1902, as the number of Simsbury Catholics rose to about 300, Bishop Michael A. Tierney organized them as a mission of St. Bernard. Initially, Mass in Simsbury was offered at the town hall. Soon Father Richard Carroll bought property on the north side of Plank Hill Road for Simsbury's first Catholic church. Named for the Immaculate Conception, the wooden church was dedicated on May 29, 1904. The Church of the Immaculate Conception was made a parish on June 17, 1921, with Father John J. Keane appointed first resident pastor. On February 23, 1936, Bishop Maurice F. McAuliffe dedicated a handsome church made of brick on the parish's Hopmeadow Street acreage. During the 1930s, the parish name was changed to St. Mary. The Seven Elms rectory was remodeled as a convent to house 11 Felician sisters who arrived to staff a future school. Father John Weldon bought land north of the convent to build a campus-style parochial school, the first unit of which was dedicated on November 30, 1957.
 
St. Mary Church
940 Hopmeadow Street, Simsbury CT 06070-0575
Telephone: 860-658-7627   Fax: 860-658-7626
Email: parishoffice@stmarysimsbury.org
Deanery: Farmington Valley
Vicariate: Hartford