Search Again

Parish History


Immaculate Conception Church
Established 1915
600 households

Though attending Southington's St. Thomas parish, by 1904 the immigrants organized the Guardian Angel Society in an effort to found a Polish parish. In 1906, a committee of the society asked Bishop Michael A. Tierney for a Polish priest. None was then available. By 1910 Bishop John J. Nilan sent Father John Sullivan to serve the immigrants within St. Thomas Parish. A new Polish Catholic parish was officially approved in September 1915 by Bishop Nilan. Property was secured as a future church site, along with a house to serve as a rectory. On September 19, 1915, Father Woroniecki celebrated the first parish Mass at a hall belonging to the Polish Falcons. On July 9, 1916, Bishop Nilan dedicated the basement church of Immaculate Conception parish. The completed church was finally dedicated on October 28, 1923.
 
Immaculate Conception Church
130 Summer Street, Southington CT 06489-3593
Telephone: 860-628-2181   
Email: immaculateconception06489@gmail.com
Deanery: Meriden
Vicariate: New Haven