Search Again

Parish History


St. Joseph Church
Polish
Established 1916
200 households

Polish immigrants began settling in the farmlands of Suffield in the 1890s. In 1905, Suffield's Polish immigrants had organized themselves into the St. Joseph Polish Society. In response to the concerns of Apostolic Delegate Archbishop John Bonzano, Bishop John J. Nilan explained that Windsor Locks priests cared for Suffield and that the St. Joseph Society had taken independent action in purchasing land for a church while also intending to find a Polish pastor on their own. About 1915, Father George G. Bartlewski was sent to Sacred Heart Church to minister to Suffield's Polish immigrants. On March 12, 1916, Bishop Nilan finally appointed Father Francis Wladasz as founding pastor of a newly created St. Joseph parish. The new pastor celebrated the first parochial Mass on Easter Sunday 1916 in the Edwin D. Morgan stable purchased earlier by the St. Joseph Society and by now converted into the first parish church. After several years of planning, construction of a new church began in 1951. On November 9, 1952, then Bishop Henry J. O'Brien dedicated modern St. Joseph Church, a Georgian style brick edifice.
 
St. Joseph Church
140 South Main Street, Suffield CT 06078-2218
Telephone: 860-668-2880   
Deanery: Enfield
Vicariate: Hartford