Search Again

Parish History


St. Mary Church
Polish
Established 1919
300 households

During the late 1800's, Polish immigrants were arriving in Torrington, previously known as Wolcottville. About 12 families comprising the Polish enclave at first attended St. Francis Church. In 1901 the immigrants organized a society, incorporated as the Roman Catholic Population of Waterbury. At last, on October 26, 1919, St. Mary parish was created when Father John P. Kowalski was named first pastor. Initially residing at Sacred Heart Church, he celebrated the first Masses for St. Mary in St. Francis chapel. A basement church was completed in 1921 and dedicated on October 5 by Bishop John J. Nilan. The completed church was dedicated on May 30, 1927. On June 12, 1960, ground was broken for a parochial school on the Bryant parcel on Forest Court and dedicated a year later. The school closed in 1984.
 
St. Mary Church
85 Pulaski Street, Torrington CT 06790
Mailing Address: 160 Main Street, Torrington CT 06790
Telephone: 860-482-4433   Fax: 860-482-1972
Email: torringtoncatholicparishes@yahoo.com
Deanery: Litchfield
Vicariate: Waterbury