Search Again

Parish History


St. Hedwig Church
Polish
Established 1906
500 households

The Polish immigrants who founded St. Hedwig parish, Union City, initially gathered to plan at Alex Sokolowski's hall on August 3, 1902. The Sokolowski committee took another step in October 1904 and acquired the Golden Hill property as a church site. On February 14, 1906, Bishop Tierney dispatched Father Ignacy Maciejewski as the first Polish pastor in Union City. At the first assembly of pastor and people, the parish patron was changed from Our Lady of Czestochowa to St. Hedwig. Father Maciejewski celebrated the first parish Mass at Sokolowski Hall on February 18. By the year's end, a Polish church was built and formally dedicated on June 2, 1907. Father Paul W. Piechocki converted the church hall into a parish school in the 1920s, staffed by the Sisters of the Bernardine Order of St. Francis who had succeeded the Felician Sisters. A new St. Hedwig Church and School complex was dedicated in 1968, staffed by the Daughters of Mary of the Immaculate Conception.
 
St. Hedwig Church
32 Golden Hill Street, Union City CT 06770-3099
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 1097, Naugatuck 06770, Union City CT 06770-3099
Telephone: 203-729-2490   Fax: 203-720-2161
Email: StHedwig.unioncity@gmail.com
Deanery: Naugatuck-Cheshire
Vicariate: Waterbury