Search Again

Parish History


St. Mary Church
Established 1907
500 households

Union City was initially a mission of St. Francis of Assisi Church, Naugatuck. As pastor of the mother parish, Father James O'Reilly Sheridan purchased the Nettleton and Norwood land parcels as a future mission church site. On September 8, 1907, Bishop Michael A. Tierney appointed Father William J. Fanning as first pastor of the new St. Mary parish. Sunday Masses were held in Sokolowski Hall. In May 1908, ground was broken for a church by contractor John W. Gaffney. Bishop Tierney blessed the cornerstone of the chapel on July 26, 1908. Msgr. John Synott, then President of St. Thomas Seminary, dedicated St. Mary Chapel on December 6. The finished church was dedicated on May 27, 1923.
 
St. Mary Church
338 North Main Street, Union City CT 06770-3235
Telephone: 203-729-2279   Fax: 203-729-1392
Email: stmaryuc@aol.com
Deanery: Naugatuck-Cheshire
Vicariate: Waterbury