Search Again

Parish History


Most Holy Trinity Church
Established 1869
3200 households

On December 22, 1847, a visiting priest from Illinois celebrated the first Wallingford Mass for 12 Catholics at the home of James Hanlon. Wallingford then became the mission of New Haven priest Father Philip O'Reilly until April 1851, when it passed to the care of St. Rose, Meriden. Father Hugh O'Reilly of Meriden bought three lots on North Colony Street as the site of a future church. The Owens home and Union Hall were used as a church and school. On September 1, 1856, Holy Trinity parish was created, with Father Michael A. Wallace appointed first pastor. A barn like church was built, with the cornerstone blessing occurring on November 23, 1857. The parish, however, had reverted to Meriden's mission in August and later in 1861 because of financial shortfalls. Finally, on August 4, 1867, Holy Trinity regained its parish status permanently as Father Hugh Mallon was appointed pastor. After acquiring land from Edward Bristol, Father Mallon built a new church on North Colony Street. Bishop Thomas Galberry blessed the cornerstone on September 24, 1876. On August 9, 1878, a tornado destroyed the old church. Liturgies were held at the local Baptist Church. The completed church was dedicated by Bishop Lawrence McMahon on November 24, 1887. A school was built and dedicated on September 6, 1914, by Bishop John J. Nilan and staffed by the Sisters of Mercy.
 
Most Holy Trinity Church
68 North Colony Street, Wallingford CT 06492-3696
Telephone: 203-269-8791   Fax: 203-269-0880
Email: htrectory@snet.net
Deanery: Meriden
Vicariate: New Haven