Search Again

Parish History


SS. Peter & Paul Church
Established 1924
400 households

By the later part of the 19th century, Polish immigrants in Wallingford were attending Mass at Holy Trinity Church. In the early decades of the 20th century, a Polish Vincentian priest from New Haven's St. Stanislaus Church ministered to the Polish parishioners of Holy Trinity. Bishop John J. Nilan assigned Father Stanislaus Nalewajk as assistant to this Wallingford parish. On September 8, 1924, Father Stanislaus Iciek was designated as temporary administrator of the newly created SS. Peter and Paul parish. Under his direction, the immigrants bought land on North Orchard Street and set about the task of building a church. Until the church was complete, liturgies were celebrated at the Polish National Hall on Prince Street. SS. Peter and Paul Church was opened for the first Mass on May 25, 1925. On June 22, the finished mission-style church was solemnly dedicated by Msgr. Thomas S. Duggan acting on behalf of Bishop Nilan.
 
SS. Peter & Paul Church
139 North Orchard Street, Wallingford CT 06492-3617
Telephone: 203-269-4617   Fax: 203-265-6751
Email: st_peter_paul@sbcglobal.net
Deanery: Meriden
Vicariate: New Haven