Search Again

Parish History

Our Lady of Fatima Church
Established 1971
800 households

On May 24, 1959, Vincentian Father Nelson Ribeiro, C.M., first gathered the Portuguese immigrant community for Mass at St. Francis Xavier Church, Waterbury. Portuguese people had also attended Father Ribeiro's liturgies at neighboring St. Francis Church, Naugatuck. The Portuguese congregation at first numbered about 300 families. In 1971, Portuguese spiritual aspirations were crowned when Archbishop John F. Whealon created the parish of Our Lady of Fatima in Waterbury, naming Father Ribeiro as first pastor. As a national parish, Our Lady of Fatima was supported by the Portuguese of both Waterbury and Naugatuck. On Memorial Day 1971, Archbishop Whealon dedicated a new church.
Our Lady of Fatima Church
2071 Baldwin Street, Waterbury CT 06706-2604
Telephone: 203-753-1424   Fax: 203-573-1914
Deanery: Waterbury
Vicariate: Waterbury