Search Again

Parish History


Our Lady of Lourdes Church
Italian
Established 1899
800 households

In the spring of 1888, famed Franciscan Padre Leo Rizzo da Saracena, O.F.M., offered Mass for the Italian immigrants of Waterbury at Immaculate Conception Church. Beginning in 1894, Father Farrell Martin of St. Cecilia parish attended the Italian population for five years. Born in Palestine, Father Michael Karam, was appointed founding pastor of Our Lady of Lourdes. On June 11, he offered the premier parish Mass at a renovated barn loft on Canal Street. New worshiping quarters and a rectory on South Main Street were acquired by the end of the month. Bishop Tierney dedicated the new chapel on November 19, 1899. It soon became apparent, however, that a larger church was needed. A basement chapel opened for Mass in July 1904. The finished church, modeled after the Roman church of Santa Francesca Romana, was dedicated on February 14, 1909, by Monsignor John Synnott.
 
Our Lady of Lourdes Church
309 South Main Street, Waterbury CT 06706-1090
Telephone: 203-754-4134   Fax: 203-755-0456
Deanery: Waterbury
Vicariate: Waterbury