Search Again

Parish History


Sacred Heart-Sagrado Corazon Church
Established 1885
200 households

Bishop Lawrence S. McMahon authorized Father William A. Harty of Immaculate Conception Church, Waterbury, to announce the establishment of Sacred Heart parish on February 15, 1885. First pastor Father Hugh Treanor offered Sacred Heart's initial Masses in St. Patrick Chapel at East Main Street and Phoenix Avenue. Father Treanor acquired the Porter estate and hired noted New York architect Patrick C. Keely to design the parish church. The church cornerstone was blessed on August 16, 1885. A basement chapel was dedicated by Bishop McMahon on March 14, 1886. On November 28, 1889, Bishop McMahon dedicated Sacred Heart. Father Thomas Shelley built an elementary school, dedicated on August 6, 1906 and staffed by the Sisters of Mercy. Father John J. Fitzgerald organized Sacred Heart Academy for girls in 1922, the first parish high school in the Diocese. In 1927, the parish organized the city's first Catholic Boy Scout troop. The Academy became coeducational in 1938. In 1975, Sacred Heart High school ceased to be a parish institution and joined the network of archdiocesan high schools.
 
Sacred Heart-Sagrado Corazon Church
13 Wolcott Street, Waterbury CT 06702-1790
Telephone: 203-757-8737   Fax: 203-754-5862
Email: sacredheartadm@comcast.net
Deanery: Waterbury
Vicariate: Waterbury