Search Again

Parish History


Shrine of St. Anne for Mothers
French
Established 1886
400 households

The French community of Waterbury first met at a Grand Street hall and former Universalist chapel known as Trinity Chapel. Appeals were made to Bishop Lawrence S. McMahon, who on April 15, 1886, named Father Joseph W. Fones of Watertown to organize a parish. On May 2, 1886, Father Fones first celebrated Mass at the Grand Street hall for the French congregation, which had chosen St. Anne as its patron. Property was purchased at Clay and South Main Street. On September 2, 1888, Bishop McMahon blessed the cornerstone of the parish church on Dover Street, a structure dedicated on January 27, 1889. By 1895, Father Joseph E. Bourret had extended parish facilities by building a red brick school on Dover Street. It was staffed by the Sisters of the Congregation of Notre Dame and replaced the original school opened in September 1890 in the church basement. A new basement chapel was dedicated in 1908. The new parish church was dedicated by Bishop John J. Nilan on December 17, 1922. After 102 years of service, the parish school closed its doors in 1992.
 
Shrine of St. Anne for Mothers
515 South Main Street, Waterbury CT 06706-1019
Telephone: 203-756-4439   Fax: 203-754-3244
Email: stanneparishoffice@att.net
Deanery: Waterbury
Vicariate: Waterbury