Search Again

Parish History


St. Stanislaus Kostka Church (Waterbury)
Polish
Established 1913
200 households

On February 14, 1909, at a Hobart Street meeting, Joseph Wojdyla assumed a leadership role in gathering his countrymen into the St. Stanislaus Kostka Society. Another key decision then taken was that all Poles would attend St. Cecilia Church. On July 7, 1912, Bishop John J. Nilan appointed Father Ignatius Maciejewski as administrator of a Polish parish in Waterbury. The priest soon celebrated the first parish Mass in the chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes Church, which the immigrants had rented. St. Stanislaus parish became legally incorporated on January 30, 1913. Land on East Farm Street was purchased from the Immaculate Conception parish for a church. On August 13, 1914, Bishop Nilan named Father Theodore Zimmerman first resident pastor. The gray granite foundation having been laid, the church cornerstone was blessed on September 14, 1914. The first Mass was celebrated in the completed edifice on October 24, 1915. The completed church superstructure was dedicated on September 26, 1926.
 
St. Stanislaus Kostka Church (Waterbury)
86 East Farm Street, Waterbury (Union City) CT 06704-1295
Mailing Address: 62 Michael Drive, Waterbury (Union City) CT 06704-1295
Telephone: 203-753-0689.   Fax: 203-575-0107
Deanery: Waterbury
Vicariate: Waterbury