Search Again

Parish History


St. Mark the Evangelist Church
Established 1942
900 households

Because building materials were scare during World War II, only a portable church was possible at the time of the parish's founding. The original St. Mark Church, located on South Quaker Lane, was a narrow building with a heating grate running through its center. A fire of suspicious origin destroyed it on June 24, 1944. The worship space was relocated to the hall of St. Thomas the Apostle parish until a new church was built. Bishop Henry J. O'Brien dedicated a new St. Mark on the site of the first church on September 30, 1945. St. Mark's Parish Center was dedicated in 1971 by Archbishop John F. Whealon, with ample space for classrooms and an assembly hall.
 
St. Mark the Evangelist Church
467 Quaker Lane South, West Hartford CT 06110-1042
Telephone: 860-233-1269   
Email: st_marks_church@snet.net
Deanery: Suburban Hartford
Vicariate: Hartford