Search Again

Parish History


St. Lawrence Church
Established 1886
950 households

Long before it officially became West Haven, Catholics of the section of what was then Orange were pastorally served by a variety of jurisdictions, including New Haven and Milford. In April 1886, West Haven's Catholics advanced as a worshiping community as Bishop Lawrence S. McMahon blessed the cornerstone of their wooden church, dedicated on August 19, 1888. St. Lawrence then reverted to Sacred Heart, New Haven, as its mission in 1892. Three years later, Father Jeremiah J. Curtin was designated resident pastor and St. Lawrence acquired parish status. Initially an enclave of 200, the congregation quickly required a large church. The cornerstone was blessed on June 21, 1903, and the completed church was dedicated shortly thereafter. The parish erected a summer chapel for the busy Old Savin Rock recreational area in 1910. The pastor added to the plant with a school dedicated in 1917 and staffed by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Chambery.
 
St. Lawrence Church
207 Main Street, West Haven CT 06516-4599
Telephone: 203-934-8351   Fax: 203-937-7858
Deanery: West Shore Line
Vicariate: New Haven