Parish History


St. Paul Church
Established 1916
1000 households

A prolific growth among Catholics of West Haven's north end occasioned the creation of St. Paul parish. Bishop John J. Nilan appointed Father Francis M. Murray as founding pastor on September 2, 1916. Father Murray first offered Sunday Mass at Harugari Hall on Campbell Avenue. The hall was the site of parish Masses until June 10, 1917, when Bishop Nilan dedicated a basement chapel located at First Avenue and Alling Street. Father Michael P. Barry built a chapel of ease on Dalton Street, dedicated on June 9, 1937. A larger church, to be erected on the foundation of the basement church, was constructed and dedicated on October 9, 1955 by Archbishop O'Brien. St. Paul's devotional life is further blessed by the parish's Fenwick Street mission chapel of ease, known as Our Lady of Mt. Carmel.
 
St. Paul Church
41 Alling Street, West Haven CT 06516-2703
Telephone: 203-933-1024   Fax: 203-931-9416
Email: st.pauls.church01@snet.net
Deanery: West Shore Line
Vicariate: New Haven

Archdiocese of Hartford · 134 Farmington Avenue Hartford, CT 06105 · 860-541-6491 · fax: 860-541-6309