Search Again

Parish History


St. Gertrude Church
Established 1947
400 households

Before 1928, Catholics in the Wilson section of Windsor made considerable sacrifices to attend Mass in Hartford or at St. Gabriel in the center of town. In early 1928 Father John Quinn, pastor at St. Gabriel, secured permission to establish a mission in Wilson. Construction of a frame church on Windsor Avenue began during the spring. On September 2, 1928, Bishop Nilan named Father Raymond G. LaFontaine of St. Thomas Seminary administrator of St. Gertrude. In July 1947, Father David J. Hart was appointed first resident pastor of the new St. Gertrude parish. Father Joseph F. Flanagan purchased 17 acres nearby on Matianuck Avenue. Construction of a church and rectory commenced in the spring of 1959. On February 27, 1960, Archbishop Henry J. O'Brien dedicated the contemporary St. Gertrude.
 
St. Gertrude Church
550 Matianuck Avenue, Windsor CT 06095-3599
Telephone: 860-522-6163   Fax: 860-525-2320
Email: stchurch.and.rectory@snet.net
Deanery: Farmington Valley
Vicariate: Hartford